Re: Standard game problems in windows (20031214) version

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 02:22:55PM -0500, Eric McDonald wrote:
> Hi Bruno ("Mr. Standing Orders"),
  :D

> > what about recomputing the path to the nearest resupply source when we
> > hit the low supply case (and eventually compare it to the destination)?
>
> I don't think we should automatically move in any direction other
> than that specified by the user. Second-guessing the player is
> generally not a good idea.
true, but claiming low supply with resupply possibilies nearby isn't
very optimal either... besides the engine knows where the unit should
go, isn't it? if the path seems clear, there shouldn't be IMHO a
questioning about low supply, that was all i was suggesting :D

> If you feel like creating 3 or 4 for various coordinates, __in a
> graphical interface. Look, I am a keyboard's best friend, but
heh if you remember i am whining for years now for a better support of
standing orders in the GUI's :D

> there are times when a few clicks are better at getting the job
> done (except in the curses interface :-). This is how patrols are
> set up in Strategic Conquest and Empire Master, and I think it is
> more efficient to do things this way. Also, it just might give
i would allready be happy if clicking in a cell whilst editing a
stnading order the cell-coordinates would be inserted into the command
line...

> some better competition to people who use standing orders
> heavily.... :-)
:D :D
BTW i made just this lunchtime break a tutoring game with my friends
here (means we played with all 3 visuals on one machine) and i showed
them (finally ;) the standing order mechanism, and there appeared that
as i thought, that mechanism moves the units way more efficently than
you can do by hand, due to the order in which the units are presented!

so indeed and as ever: standing order rules! :D

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org