Re: Xconq output files

[ interrupted thread resumed once more ]

>I could also associate ".g" with xconq.exe. But here I am a
>little bit more concerned with clobbering an existing extension.
>I think I can incorporate logic into the installer script to
>check for this though.

That would be nice if it works, but I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

>> >"XconqWarnings.log" and "XconqDebugOut.log".
>>
>> Not sure about this one. A .log file to me is something that accumulates
>> output from several sessions. Which these files do not. How about just
>> XconqWarnings?
>
>Sure, or how about "XconqWarnings.xcd" as you suggest below, but
>only for Windows? Since the default view settings in Windows
>Explorer hide file extensions, the ".xcd" files will appear to
>have the same names as they do on other platforms, but I will be
>able to associate shell extensions (e.g., Open) with them. (And
>for people like me, who prefer to see the extensions when dealing
>with Windows, they will appear less "clumsy".)

Maybe. xcd was just a suggestion. Actually, if the text file extension is
going to be used only on Windows, .txt is fine with me. It is, after all,
what Windows users expect to see.

>> XconqScores is fine. However, since different games make different score
>> files, this is a tricky one.
>
>Well, we could alter existing modules where 'scorefile-name' is
>set to conform to some naming standard (perhaps the name of the
>the game module file minus the ".g" extension; in which case
>Bellum would be the only game currently in the library that needs
>to change). I would suggest that we remove any extensions from
>these, and then let the Xconq Windows code tack on a ".xcd".

Do we really need different scorefiles for different games? Right now, it's
kind of confusing with most of the games using scores.xcq and a few having
their own scorefiles. I never understood why.