Civil

http://civil.sourceforge.net/

"Civil is a cross-platform, turn-based, networked strategy game,
developed using Python, Pygame and SDL. Civil allows players to take
part in scenarios set in historical battle theatres. To date, the U.S.
Civil war has been the primary focus."

Claims beta status.  I tried to get it work under Windows a month ago,
and I was unable to.  You may have better luck under Linux.  I'm not
sure what it looks like, I can't even pull up their screenshots right
now for some reason.  I believe it's hex-based, judging by the art on
their project page.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.