From: Eric McDonald [mailto:mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 7:34 PM
To: Erik Jessen
Cc: 'xconq'
Subject: New Interpreter (was RE: Marketing Xconq?)

Hi Erik,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Erik Jessen wrote:

> I think having an interpreted language (v. the current Lisp-format
> datafile) would put Xconq way ahead of the competition (like ADC2 et
> al).

In past discussion, with Bruno I think, I jokingly referred to
this as GDL++. But seriously, I run into things that I would like
to do in Xconq that GDL cannot presently handle. Foremost among my
desires are definitions based on forumlae rather than just static
tables. It would also be nice to script events into certain games.

However, if one writes a new interpreter, it would still need to
work within the limitations of the backend data structures.
Writing a new, more powerful interpreter is an ambitious project,
but it would certainly be fun to do sometime. (As would expanding
the standing orders syntax.)

  Regards,
   Eric

P.S. How are the Xconq example "games" coming? If you have them
ready, we can toss them into CVS, perhaps under lib/examples.