Configuration and Building

Hello fellow Xconquerors,

  Over the past few weeks, I have implemented a number of
enhancements to the configuration and build system used by Xconq.
I still need to update some of the documentation to reflect this.

  In addition to increasing the chances of a successful build
under Windows, the following configure options have been added:

(1) enable-alternate-gameuser and enable-alternate-gamegroup: Use
these if you are building as a non-root user (such as in a
computer lab environment). They will help make sure that things
get installed in such cases.
(2) enable-ui: Choose from tkconq, cconq, xtconq, and sdlconq. The
default is tkconq. This determines which interface will be built
and installed when you do a "make; make install" (or just "make
install"). The other UI's are all also enabled and can be built
with: all-tkconq, all-cconq, all-xtconq, and all-sdlconq, and
installed with the corresponding install-<ui>.
(3) enable-alternate-x11-app-defaults-dir: Use this for specifying
an alternate location to store the X11 resources for the xtconq
inteface.

  The enable-sdl option is no longer needed. The SDL interface is
enabled by default. The only time it (or any other interface)
won't build is if they are missing something (and whether you are
on a Unix platform, in the case of xtconq). In the future, I
will perhaps disable interfaces depending one whether or not they
can be built.

  Some work still remains to be done, but the major surgery now
appears to be out of the way. Please let me know if you have any
problems building with the remodeled system.

  Thanks,