Re: Tcl/Tk Interface Unification

Hi Hans, others,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> tcltk/sdl interfaces. What remains to do is to untangle it further by
> giving each of the latter its own main function file which lives in the
> tcltk or sdl directory, respectively, instead of in the x11 directory.

This I have now done for both the Tcl/Tk and SDL interfaces.
However, I still need to go into the files and clean out all of
the residual stuff.

> Once this has been done, the old x11/xconq.c can be retired.

I have not stowed anything in the Attic yet.

> easier keep track of what files belong to what interfaces. Second, one
> would no longer need hacks supporting several different interfaces within
> the same source file, as is now the case for xconq.c. The only disadvantage

Now we just have makefile hacks to determine which interface to
build when someone does "make all-xconq". And more makefile hacks
to determine which compile and link flags to use depending on the
build platform....

Some of these things can be simplified by making the configure
script do more host-dependent configuration of certain make
variables. Another thing that I think would help would be to add
a new config flag, "enable-ui". This would take one of the
following arguments: tcltk, sdl, xtxaw, curses. And "tcltk" would
be the default setting, at least while the SDL interface is so
primitve. This would also deprecate the usage of "enable-sdl".

Basically, I think there is a lot of polish that needs to be
applied to the configury and build system.

  Regards,