Re: Compiling win32 under Cygwin

>Hi, Hans --
>
>So, I've been trying (as you know) to get XConq running in my env for -
>oh, three weeks now.  I've yet to actually start the game and have it
>run.  Honestly, all I want to do is play a game when I get home and not
>struggle with yet another make process and debugging (I have enough
>trouble at work).  Is there any way you could wrap everything - xconq,
>the tcl/tk libs & tclinit, images & game files, etc. - into one zip
>file?

What you are asking for is in effect a new release. Version 7.5 is indeed
long overdue. There is still a lot of documentation and other stuff that
has to be updated, though, including many of the game modules. And packing
everything up in not just zip files, but also tar, gz and sit files is also
some work. I honestly doubt I will have time for this before Christmas. I'm
sort of reluctant to do this before the docs and game modules have been
updated, too. This would only cause a buggy and incomplete version of xconq
to be widely circulated, and many people would not bother to get the final
release :-(.

That being said, installing xconq (as opposed to building it) is actually
quite easy. Here is what you have to do for the Windows version:

1. Download and install ActiveState Tcl (this you will have to do no matter
what - there is no way we are going to include all this stuff in the xconq
release).

2. Check out a fresh copy of the xconq CVS repository (I assume you know
how to do this since you have been trying to build the app).

3. Get the latest Windows snapshot from my homepage:

http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

4. Drop the unzipped app in the top (xconq) directory.

5. Drop the two files named tk83.dll and tcl83.dll from the ActiveState
distribution in the top (xconq) directory.

6. Put the directories named tcl8.3 and tk8.3 from the ActiveState
distribution in the root directory of your hard drive (e.g. in C:\ if xconq
lives in C:\whatever\xconq) or somewhere else where xconq can find them.

7. Double-click the app to launch it.

Note: if you are running xconq under Win-98 you should also shut down all
other apps first. This is because the graphics memory is limited under
Win-98 and xconq needs most of it. Under Win-2000 and later, you don't need
to shut down the other apps (see the post by Juergen Ruehle on this list
sime time ago for further details).

If this doesn't work, please let me know, and I will do what I can to help
sort out any problems.