Re: Countries

Erik Jessen wrote:

1) I see the 'country-color' statement, and it's possible to list colors
that go with it,
but I can't find any documentation that says where these colors actually
show up.

The color can be used to colorize b/w unit images, and as a subst for
emblems if none are defined, or if an interface needs to draw a unit
as a tiny spot (such as on the world map).  Not every interface uses
side colors in the same way.

2) I see that it's possible to mark what areas different countries control,
but
how is that used in the game.

You can just have it be a marker to indicate ebb and flow, but with
no game effect, but you can also have effects such as seeing enemy
aircraft or cavalry moving around in your territory, while armies
can capture and make it their territory.  There should be a chance
of revolt for unoccupied territory where side and people are
different, but that's not implemented.

3) I would like to have regions within each country.  I'm trying the ACW, so
I'd
   like to have the following sides: Federal, Rebel, Tennessee (started
neutral),
   Missouri (started neutral), and Europeans (started & stayed neutral).
I'd
   then like to have each state marked off, so that one gets a state to
join
   your side (or go neutral, if it was hostile), once you've conquered all
the cities in it.

No way to do that with the current code.  I've played around with
ACW strategy designs, and that was one of the limitations that kept
me from putting together a module.  You could try modeling *each*
state as a separate side, at least for the South, and start them out
allied and  under control by a Rebel side that has few or no units
of its own.  (This will probably expose bugs in the side control
code, it's not exercised that much.)  Then all your units have lots
of state identity, which is good for feel.

Is a 'country' the same as a 'side' in the game?  The rules use both terms,
but I can't
find a definition for either, really, that shows the difference.

Sides are the fundamental concept, while "country" is just used during
synthesis to refer to a part of the world that will belong to the side
when the game starts.  You won't need any of the country parameters
for a completely predefined scenario such as an ACW game.