Re: New testing game

>I'm sure.  The city has a reach of 2 and no enemies were within that
>reach.

Then I am at a loss to explain this. Citites do grow beyond size 9 in other
games (e.g. advances). Could this be some kind of numeric overflow problem
due to the large number of facilities (20 farms and 20 granaries) that you
added in this specific case? What happens with just one facility of each
type?

>If I disabled the "supply" code, would that prevent cities from sharing
>resources (i.e. fuel) with occupants?

Not at all. Sharing of resources with occupants is handled by run_economy
(which can also be disabled if you wish). The supply code is some kind of
pipeline machinery for distributing stuff over larger distances. There are
problems with it, which is why I ususally disable it.

>> Advanced units currently have no limits on how much material they can
>> store. The material storage tables apply only to non-advanced units. The
>> theory was that a city does not have a limited storage space the same way a
>> ship does. But we could add support for that if necessary.
>
>I set the 1000-unit limit on fuel because if there was no limit (or the
>limit was absurdly high), cities would probably hoard fuel and never
>supply it to the units that needed it.

This is not a problem. I have tested it in another game, and sharing of
fuel with occupants is not affected by how much the advanced unit can
store. The occupants are filled up with whatever fuel is available.

>Looking at allocate_used_cells, I can see where it is all done, so if I
>used something like:
>
>(table occupant-multiply-maxcells (arcology city 200))
>
>the number of cells that a city with an arcology should double, and if I
>use something like:
>
>(table occupant-add-maxcells (collector city 1))
>
>the number of cells that a city with a collector should increase by 1,
>right?

No. The occupant (unit2) comes after the city (unit). Your tables should be:

(table occupant-multiply-maxcells (city arcology 200))
(table occupant-add-maxcells (city collector 1))

Hopefully, things will work then. BTW, this is one example of the unit
confusion that we were just discussing on this list. It would be much
easier if units were named "transport" and "occupant" instead of "unit" and
"unit2".

>It also looks to me like the code doesn't check that an advance is
>completed before it applies the modifier to unit->maxcells.  Am I
>reading this correctly?

Yes. This seems to be a bug. I will check in a fix.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se