[xconq] ranged attacks

Well, I figured out how to make a shield wall with polearms to strike
over it.

Two problems:  First, the polearm wielders are able to strike at a range
of 2, with a min of 1, but when they attack normal fighters 2 hexes
away, they retaliate and hit the polearms.  This shouldn't be able to happen
because they have shorter weapons.  I'm trying to use the combat mode so each
strike can be directed individuauly, with the defender blocking/attacking, but
not fighting to the death.
How can I set things up so that the defender can only inflict damage on
the attacker if they are within the defenders max range?

Has anyone even used units that can attack at a range greater than 1?
(Not firing...)

Second problem:  I only played through a couple times, but the AI didn't
seem to grasp the idea of marching the shield wall forward and using the
shielders to defend the longer ranged polearms in the back.
Does the AI have any concept of this type of tactic?
Adds a whole new dimension to the AI doesn't it?