Re: Two more AI bugs

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 17:21, Hans Ronne wrote:
> Please check that the game now works as expected. As for the second problem
> that you described for the 3rd-age game, I don't know if it is related to
> this bug, so perhaps you could check it, too.

I see that in Colonizer, the AI is actually building new air units, but
it still occasionally tries to build a non-air unit.  It does seem,
however, that the only new air units it builds are motherships.  It
would make more sense if it built more fighters than motherships,
because the fighters require less CP's and hit almost as hard (and they
move faster).  Besides, the mothership is intended to be a transport,
not a weapon.

However, it seems that the AI thinks that spaceports favor land suitable
to cities, such as plain and steppe regions, whereas they would work
better in desert or mountain regions.

It didn't fix the problem in 3rd-age; I tried it again, and I'm still
seeing things like cities of Rohan trying to build dwarves and
olog-hai!  Although I never saw it try to build a unit that was
restricted to sides not in the game (i.e. if the ents aren't in the
game, nobody will try to build ents).  This problem doesn't seem to be
related to the problem in Colonizer; it just showed similar symptoms.

One thing I noticed, now that you mention the "don't build ships without
a shore" code, was that in 3rd-age, I frequently see landlocked cities
building various ships (dromunds, galley, longboats).  The ships cannot
leave the city, and they only have a marginal effect on defense, so why
build them?  Maybe a quick fix would be to make ships vanish on land (it
seems to work in the standard game).