Re: ...and the AI's decision-process around resignation

>I tried turning off the ai-may-resign variable in "Colonizer", and the
>game now lasts well beyond Turn 10.  However, I found that for some
>reason, the AI seems to always assign a "Colonizing" plan to the
>settlers and engineers, and they all have the goal of building
>something, but they never actually build anything!  I ran through the
>thing for about 40 turns, and I never saw the AI build anything!
>
>I suppose that if it's not going to build anything, it might as well
>resign after the first 10 turns, but this is just silly!

Sound like your colonizers can't find a good place to colonize. This is
determined by the possibilities for city growth. The default setting is
that they will colonize only places where cells within reach, determined by
u_reach(u), will support at least a size 12 unit. You can however change
this by changing u_minimal_size_goal(u) for each advanced unit type. Then
you need to define whether or not each material type is consumed by cities,
um_consumption_per_size(u, m). The default is that they are not. You also
need to define how much materials are produced by different terrain types.
And you finally need to define advanced unit types that the colonizers
actually can build. Otherwise, they will just stroll around for ever.

If you have problems getting all this to work, I suggest that you copy the
code from advances.g and then modify it step by step.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se