Re: The "Colonizing" plan

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 09:37, Hans Ronne wrote:
> Not according to my experience. Aggresive expansion in the early phase of
> the game is the only viable strategy in Civ2 or Civ3, particularly at the
> Deity level. It is better to loose some settlers than to play it safe and
> let the other civs grab most of the territory. From the testing I did when
> I wrote the advances game, the same is true in that case. Can't tell about
> the game you are writing, but it would surprise me if careful step by step
> expansion is not a loosing strategy there, too.

I guess that where this "Colonizer" game differs from "advances" or Civ
is that:
1. All sides start with a small military force that could immediately
wreak havoc on another side.
2. All cities require >1 CP to build, so it is necessary to guard them
during construction, especially against aircraft.

Usually, I have all 3 of my initial settlers work together to build my
first city, then once it's complete, I send the remaining settlers to
build their own cities.

> Running into obstacles will happen with any random walk algorithm. My point
> was that the colonizer random walk is more randomized in that both the
> direction and the move lenght is changed at random. This makes it easier
> for the colonizer to get out of places such as small peninsulas where other
> units tend to get stuck.

Of course, it'll still confuse the AI if it happens to start on an
island that's too small for 3 cities, in which case a colonizer should
board a saucer or the mothership and be transported somewhere else.  Of
course, the AI will need a "Transport" plan before that will ever
happen.