Re: Mandrake & Xconq libs

Erik Jessen writes:
> I've finally gotten the first couple of libs required for Xconq
> installed,
> but I can't find the following in either the Mandrake CDs or at
> Redhat.  (As far as I can tell from 'man gcc', these should all be
> libraries,
> under /usr/lib).
>
> -lXext
> -lXmu
> -ldl
> -lm
>
> Thanks for any pointers on where to download these.
>
> Erik

Partly you're looking in the wrong place, and but you probably also
don't have the right packages installed.

libdl and libm are very basic shared libraries; you'd find them under
/lib, not /usr/lib.  However, if you had the glibc-devel package
installed, in /usr/lib you would find symlinks to the shared libraries
in /lib, as well as the archive versions of these libraries (i.e. ".a"
rather than ".so").  You might have skipped installing glibc-devel,
since it is not required for basic system operation, but if you want
to recompile anything you have to have it.

libXext and libXmu are libraries for the X Window System, so you'd
find them under /usr/X11R6/lib.  Assuming you have X installed, you
should have the shared versions of these, but you'll only have the
archive versions if you've installed the XFree86-devel package.
Again, if you want to recompile any X programs, you should install
XFree86-devel.

In general, if you want to rebuild any programs, you need to have all
the -devel packages required by those programs.