Re: Networked games (Was: Re: Converting xconq to C++)

>I agree with Jan below.
>
>Erik
>

>Jan Jona Javorsek wrote:
>>>
>> Please, do something if the game is to survive. And do it fast.

I agree that network play is crucial if this game is to survive in the long
run. That's why I added it to the Mac interface. I do think that the synch
problems can be fixed, though. Stan made a lot of progress on them last
year, before he started to work with the new SDL interface. We went from a
situation where every game was out of synch within seconds to one where you
can actually play simple sequential games to the end, if you are lucky. It
should not be too difficult to track down and fix the remaining problems.
The job is 95% done.

Unfortunately, I've had very little time for coding during the spring. What
little time I had went into making sure that the SDL interface would run
also on the Mac. I think Stan has been rather busy too, recently. He has
not checked in anything since the end of March.

So what we need is really some more Xconq hackers that are willing to dig
into the guts of the kernel. Two people with little free time is just not
enough to get things done. Maybe someone on this list would like to give it
a try? Fixing the synch problem should be a lot easier than converting all
the code to C++, I think. And more of an intellectual challenge.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se