Re: The SDL interface

Mathias Broxvall wrote:

> Therefore I suggest that we look at some of the extra SDL libraries for
> game GUI's. IMHO it is especially important that it is a *Game* user
> interface. That is, we don't want standard qt/gtk/motif/athena/... widgets
> but rather want to specify the images for our buttons etc. ourselfs (from
> the gamemodules!) and have non standard widgets and gadgets
> giving the game the same flavour and polish as "real" games.

Absolutely, otherwise everybody would be happy with tcl/tk, eh?

> One suggestion for a gui interface would be the library SDL_gui which seem
> to be quite standard among SDL installations. (It's not an official SDL
> library I think... correct?). The only disadvantage with this as I see it
> would be that we have to do parts of the SDL interface in C++ and rely on
> yet another library... but thats not to serious? (I dislike writing parts
> of the SDL interface in C++ for the obvious reason - everything else is
> pure C).

Being in C++ is not a fatal flaw.  My download of it didn't actually
work, but I see that I have 0.9.10, and there are newer versions,
so it's worth another look.

> What do you think? Is this a reasonable approach for the SDL client?
> Would this fit into your other design thoughts Stan?

With the exception of using ttf (which seems like overkill), this
particular library seems like it might be at the right level of
complexity, and is worth experimenting with.  Beware of limitations
though; it might be easier just to steal ideas and design, rather
than try to work around missing features.