Re: The SDL client (fwd)

>I will delurk for a while to comment.  I think using SDL is an
>outstanding idea and can transform xconq into a game that is playable
>by a much larger public -- IF and only if the interface is done correctly.
>It would be a shame if enthusiasm for coding immediately drove some poor
>design decisions.  Now is the time to provide a modern, flexible UI that
>can look fantastic.

I think flexible is the key word. The ultimate design is one big map that
covers the whole screen. Everything else should be optional and brought up
only when the user wants it.

>I advise against quickness and for correctness.  Do not force any decisions
>about placement, allow that to be set by interface or game designers.

I would add the most important person, the user, to that. The best thing
about the mac interface is that its many movable windows make it possible
for the user to customize the interface layout. This is very unlike the
unix version where you are locked into a certain layout even if you can
tweak it by resizing the panes.

Not that I'm advocating a multiple windows approach for SDL. But it's very
important that the user can chose what to see and when.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se