Re: Swedish place name generator again

>Hi,
>Here is the newest Swedish place name generator. It has now reached the
>impressing size of 3.9k, and I think the results are good.

Nice work. Most of the names make sense. There is one problem, though.
Swedish does not migrate well across platforms. Thus, Unix "åäö" comes out
as "”–Â" on the Mac. And the same (or even worse) is in the other
direction. I once caused the Unix version of xconq to freak out by
inserting a Mac "é" into a string. Turned out it was a control character
under Unix.

So this raises a matter that has been discussed before on this list. Should
we add cross-platform support for non-English characters to xconq, and if
so, what is the best way to do it? I guess one could hack open_file so that
it not only does linefeed conversions but also converts special characters
in files that come from the other platform. But perhaps there is an easier
solution?

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se