Re: hey listen to this!!!!!

At 10:17 PM 7/6/00 -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:
>Upgrade your machine to Linux! :-)  But seriously, we don't yet
>have a final release version of 7.3 built for Windows.

  How to put this carefully... There are machines that I use, or
even manage, that I may run Xconq on, that I have no choice of
OS due to other factors, and are running Windows.  Still other
machines may run Windows due to the need to run specific apps
already purchased for Windows and that do not have available
free/cheap Linux equivalents.

  I've been thinking some lately about where to go with the modified
discover.g I've been working with, but have put off any more work until
I have a final release version to work with; it's difficult enough to
figure out what does and doesn't work at any time to fight through
it over and over again.  (I'm optimistically assuming that anything
that works in a final release version will not stop working, at least
for a while.)

  One of the things I have wondered is whether it is possible to
compile Xconq with the free Borland C++ compiler.  The availability
of easy and free DOS compiles of Angband and assorted related
roguelikes via DJGPP has been very helpful in terms of increasing
interest and available effort (more eyeballs, bigger bazaar, or
whatever metaphor you prefer).

If a procedure and/or makefile could be developed for free Borland C++,
it would greatly increase the amount of contribution that would be
practical for those of us who spend much of our days stuck in a Windows
world.

** James **
--
James R. Dunson (jdunson@vt.edu)
Network Administrator, Center for Wireless Telecommunications