Xconq's default filenames

As part of dealing with save/restore on Windows, I've been reducing the
default file names down to 8.3 versions, such as "save.xcq" instead of
"save.xconq" and so forth.

But then I ask "why not use a single set of filenames that work for
all platforms?".  This has the potential to be a little ugly sometimes
(the Mac save dialog would be seeded with save.xcq for instance), but
it would save some code and ugly ifdefs and such.  Does anybody have
an opinion about whether this is a good idea?