Re: Saving Games in Xconq

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 08:59:15PM -0800, Stan Shebs wrote:
> So that suggests to me that Xconq should switch to the document model,
> where you can casually save as many times as you like, and you can
> save to different filenames at any time also.

I agree. Of course, I'm biased since this is how it already works on the
mac. In fact, I didn't realize that the inability to do so under unix was a
deliberate feature :-).

I think the ability to save an interesting game at a given point and replay
it more than once (which you can do on the mac) is really important. Not
because you want to cheat, but because it's fun to try out different
strategies and see how they work.

As for the scores file, I wouldn't worry about it since I never look at it.
Never cared much about the Civ Hall of Fame, either. Too easy to cheat in
too many ways. Also, as Bruno pointed out, getting a high score is not why
you play xconq. I think scores files are more suitable for network games
that rank human players and where the file is cheat proof, i. e. kept on a
server.

BTW, one way to mess up scoring if you think you are loosing is to save a
game, reopen it and switch side. This you can do today, even under unix.
I'm not arguing that this option should be disabled, however. Switching
side in mid game can be quite fun.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se