Internationalization

I follow along with FreeCiv development (keeping an eye out for ideas
to steal, heh-heh), and noticed lately quite a bit of activity to
localize for various languages.  Xconq has some capability for
localization - for instance, most text generation is in nlang.c and
help.c, and things could be set up to build for different languages.
However, I only know English, some German, and a tiny bit of French,
so I can't do more than provide infrastructure for somebody else to do
the translations.

So my question - is localization of interest?  If so, can you help
make it happen, and can you participate at the coding level, or would
you prefer to work on translation catalogs?  (either program or game
modules) What languages would be of the most interest?