Re: New standard game?

>The old intro game only had a fixed scenario - did you modify it to
>allow random games or something?  I'm confused...

It was random until just before 7.2 was released. I remember you said at
that time you that made it a fixed scenario because you were going to write
some tutorial pages based on that particular scenario. Don't think that
ever happened, though.

>The reason I whacked it as an intro game is that it would cause new
>players to learn rules and behaviors that were incorrect for the
>standard game, for instance the stacking rules.  The thing that really
>got me thinking about that was the documentation issue - do you write
>a whole howto based on the intro, then another one for the standard?

The good thing about the Intro game (old and new) is that it is very
fast-paced, because of the small world and the fact that there usually is
only one connected land mass. 20 x 40 instead of 30 x 60 (standard game)
makes a big difference. It takes about 15 min to finish, which I think this
is optimal for somebody who is trying to learn xconq. Of course, one can
always configure the standard game like that, but the newbie doesn't know
about that.

I am not suggesting that one should go back to the old Intro game in terms
of stacking rules etc. I'm just saying that the current Intro game also
could run in random mode (small world, mostly land), with your fixed
"tutorial example" as a suboption. It would be more fun that way, both for
the newbies and the veterans!

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@2.sbbs.se