Re: Unix/Win GUI re-evaluation

   Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:28:43 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Jan Jona Javorsek <jan.javorsek@guest.arnes.si>

   I am so happy tcl/tk is not bound to stay. My old P90 is running it almost
   as slowly as it runs Quake. Not very fast that is.

:-)

   Perhaps fltk should be considered. It runs on Windows, and is very fast.
   But I have never used it and I am not sure if you like C++ interface.
   It has GUI builder too. Check it out.

Actually I did look at fltk a while back, but went and looked again.
It *is* promising.  It seems not to have a way to use bitmaps as a
clipping region, which is essential to Xconq's current graphics code.
On the other hand, Windows doesn't support that either (that's one of
the problems with the tcltk port), so now I'm wondering whether it
might not be better to switch to a drawing scheme based on blitting
alone...

I'm also a little concerned that fltk doesn't seem to have many
applications using it.  It looks like Xconq would become the largest
and most complex app using fltk.  It would be sensible to send a
message to the mailing list and ask if the denizens would be willing
to support Xconq's use (and likely, stressing :-) ) of fltk.