Re: the CVS repo

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Stan Shebs wrote:

>    I was a bit surprised, though, to find a complete set of tcl and tk
>    sources arrive when I did a checkout.  I already have tcl/tk 8 on my
>    system here, so is it possible to omit these?  I suspect that others may
>    already have the libraries installed, too.
>
> If you delete the tcl and tk directories from your sandbox (checked
> out dir), CVS will not try to bring them back, unless you do an update
> -d or a new checkout.

Ah, that's good to know.  Unfortunately, I find 'cvs update -d' is
normally what I want, so I put it into ~/.cvsrc.  I'll have to try to
remember to undo this for each update.

> I'm also planning to add a CVS module xconq-no-tcl-tk that will do what
> you want on initial checkout.

That's even better that remembering to not use '-d'.  Best of all -- from
my point of view -- would be to reverse things, and have the *default* to
be the "no tcl" version.

> I don't think all the configury is there to use
> the system versions automatically though, beware.

No, it doesn't use it automatically.  After removing the tcl & tk
directories & configuring, the build failed.  I edited x11/Makefile.in,
uncommenting

	TCLTK_LIB = -ltk -ltcl -ldl -lm

The build failed again however, since there are no rules for make to
update Makefile when Makefile.in changes.  OK, so I rerun configure and I
got xconq to build.

Then the install failed, since I was NOT building in the source tree:
files for xconqlibdir were not searched for in the source tree.  I got
messages like:

	install: ../../x11/../lib-x11/../../x11/../lib-x11/README: No such file or directory

I'd like to send you patches to fix these two problems (Makefile depends
on Makefile.in, and non-srcdir builds).  The easiest way I know of to do
this is to use automake.  Would that be acceptable?