Re: Xconq 7.2.2 Released

   Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:27:51 -0800
   From: rmk <rmk@mindless.com>

   Some time ago I coded a modification to Gettysburg it got lost in the
   migration to my new machine.  Looking at the options I decided to five Post
   Modern a shot.  It looked good.  The unit options seemed to be reasonable
   and looked to make for an interesting game.  Now here's the rub.  In a
   computer game the AI builds only Engineers.  Nothing else.  I played the
   game three times.  Every time, only Engineers.  I changed the difficulty
   giving the AI and advantage, only Engineers.  I Increased the number of
   opponents, only engineers.  I changed the map size, only Engineers.

   I looked for a fix at the web site and didn't find any. Am I to assume that
   the AI is operating in failure mode in this scenario?

I remember noticing this too.  I believe the problem is that the generic
AI is lame about doing research, and the tradeoff calculations favor
engineers massively (although incorrectly).  One would have to dig
through the AI's build weighting and compare how the different units
pan out to understand why the AI thinks engineers are so great, and
how to fix.

Probably a good idea to revisit this code anyway, the AI needs to
get smarter about its build choices...