Re: Introduction and questions

Anthony Veale' writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > But programming is my intention.  I am an Amiga 4000 user at home and
 > I've played the version 5 port of the X11 version.  Since it has some

Oh, wow.  I haven't revved up my 3000 for about a year now.

 > I'd like to work on either porting the
 > X11 interface or creating an Amiga interface.

I have the source code for a port of AConq 5.3 (xconq for the amiga).
It was most written by another person, but I made some changes, bug
fixes, and dragged the code up to the XConq 5.5 level of code (5.5.1,
I believe I didn't apply the 5.5.3 patches).  I got the code up to the
about a playable "beta" level, but never released it.  I wanted to GPL
it, and even though I had e-mail permission to release the source, I
wanted written verification from the original author (perhaps I was
overcautious, here, but copyright is a powerful thing).

In any case, the engine is reasonable, and supplied a very primitive
zoom-in/zoom-out feature, which I had seen in the early versions of
xconq 7.  It breaks your heart to see what happens to the 16x16 icons
when they get squished though ;)

 > Unfortunately, this is all at a "National Guard"
 > level of effort.  I.e. one weekend a month.

Yes, that happened to me, only I lost the ambition to release it to
the world, partly because the only compiler I had was a fairly old
version of DICE, and I had no debugger.  I did some experiments with
gcc, but they didn't really produce as good code as DICE.  Anyway, if
the harddrive on my Amiga is still functional, I could tar up the
sources in their current state, if you are interested.

Tell me.  Is the Amiga still a living platform?  I know that the
people who acquired it said they had plans to make it more than just a
toaster driver, but I don't know what ever became of that.