Re: Generating Kernel module for Other Computers

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 7:17 PM, David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> wrote:
> Another approach here would be to use the existing systemtap
> client/server mechanism. You'd set up a server for each distro you
> wanted to support (note that each compile server system doesn't have
> to be a real system, it could be a virtual machine). In the
> background, the systemtap servers use avahi to broadcast what kernel
> versions they support.

This way to compile and deploy the drivers is great for situations
when we can control the environment. For example, we can install avahi
library, stap-run, allow UDP connections, multicast.

There are other scenarios as well. I have to deliver the driver
precompiled for all kernels existing in the network. I can not assume
that the production server can connect to anything besides a
proprietary service running above websocket. I am not allowed, for
example, to compile modules on the fly and deploy w/o testing the
drivers in the lab first. I have to support between 10 to 20 kernels
across 3-5 different distributions in a single deployment. If I choose
VM route - 20GB per VM - I start to feel the storage costs.

For a large number of different kernels I do not see many alternatives
besides container/chroot.