Re: reducing cost of user-space probes

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM, O Mahony, Billy
<billy.o.mahony@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> My unbuntu packaged systemtap doesn't have dyninst support:
>
>    $ sudo stap -v --dyninst ./vswitch.stp
>    ERROR: --runtime=dyninst unavailable; this build lacks DYNINST feature
>    Systemtap translator/driver (version 2.9/0.165, Debian version 2.9-2ubuntu2 (xenial))
>    Copyright (C) 2005-2015 Red Hat, Inc. and others
>    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
>    enabled features: AVAHI LIBSQLITE3 NLS NSS TR1_UNORDERED_MAP

You are right, for whatever reason the ubuntu maintainer didn't enable
dyninst support. If it was supported, you'd see "DYNINST" in the above
list of enabled features..

> Before I get stuck into building from source - Is there a dyninst-devel package for Ubuntu about? I see there is dyninst 8.x package for Ubuntu 12 but I'm not sure I want to install them directly.

I'm afraid I don't have easy access to an unbuntu 12 system, so unless
someone else pipes up here I'd suggest going ahead and give that
dyninst packages a shot.