Issues with @perf directives in systemtap 3.1 on Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Hi all,

I have been trying to make use of the perf.stp example modified for my
own program I am trying to profile.  I set the perf.hw probes to be
system wide by not supplying a process, but when my other probes
trigger and I read the counters with the @perf() directive, the number
returned for the counters is always the same junk number (it varies
between runs, but never changes during a run).

I am not sure what could be going on.  I have tried the systemtap
package that ships with Ubuntu 16.04LTS and compiled from the tip of
the git repository.  Both versions have the same failure.  Any help
would be appreciated on how to debug this further.

Thanks,
Geoff Blake