Re: problems with sysroot variable when cross compiling uprobes

Hi Torsten,

On 03/01/2016 08:59 PM, Torsten Polle wrote:
>  > I am working on a powerpc board with 32 bit architecture and try to
>  > compile userspace probes. This means I have my own cross compiled
>  > root filesystem and I am using stap then with the --sysroot option.
>
>  > I had a setup up and running with systemtap version 2.5 for a longer
>  > time. Now I tried to upgrade my sytemtap version to 2.9. But already
>  > with version 2.6 I see the following problem: When I try to compile
>  > my stap probe it complains with an error message that the executable
>  > can not be found. And what I see that the path I specified for my
>  > sysroot variable is duplicated.
>
> [...]
>
>  > As I said it works fine with an own build systemtap 2.5 but does not
>  > work with an own build systemtap 2.9. Also the official installed
>  > stap version 2.8 on my host system shows the same error.
>
>  > Am I am doing something wrong here or has anybody seen the same
>  > problem? Any help is appreciated.
>
> I'm using a cross compile environment for ARM. For me everything works
> fine. But I'm using a number of patches to make everything in my

great, the third patch definitely solves the problem I have on my side and I can
use systemtap 2.9 in my powerpc environment. Thanks a lot.

> environment. I never dared to upstream those because my knowledge of the
> SystemTap code itself is very poor and might be wrong for the general
> case. If they also work fine for you, the patches might be a starting

I am also not familar with the code. But it might be worth to try to upstream
it. Even if it might be not a perfect solutions for the general case, others
around may then propose clean solutions which are ready to be merged upstream. I
mean the sysroot option seems to be broken. Or is anyone around here who can
work with the upstream version in a cross compiled environment and uses this
option successfully?

Best regards
Holger Brunck