Re: [SYSTEMTAP/PATCH 0/4] RT aware systemtap patch set

On 09/15/2014 05:17 AM, Santosh Shukla wrote:
> Ping!
>
> do we care about making stap -rt aware. Just an fyi that I revisited
> my patch specially 2nd patch and found some serious improvement to be
> done.. RCU use to replace rd/wr lock just not right, So I am spinning
> the patch series. Also I am thinking to come up with locking helper
> function API on raw_locking vs existing spin lock so to avoid
> cluttering the code.

Santosh,

Sorry about not responding sooner. Making systemtap work better on -rt
kernels would be nice, if the changes aren't too disruptive. I meant to
find the -rt kernel and test your patches last week but I ended up not
finding the time. Luckily for me you've got a 2nd patch set coming...

I'll try to review the 2nd patch set when you get it finished. Here's a
question I've got, do you think the -rt patches will cause any
performance changes (positive or negative) on the regular kernel?

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com