Re: Re: Regarding systemtap support for AArch64

(2013/09/26 12:13), Sandeepa Prabhu wrote:
> Hi Will, Masami,
>
> Nice to hear from you, I am using ARM fast model/Foundation model with
> ARM v8 upstream kernel and a Linaro minimal busybox based ramdisk,
> testing with loadable modules for now (so don't have dependency on
> elfutils or GCC autoconf etc)
>
> Would you be interested to use Linaro kprobe work as a base for
> development and validation of systemtap-aarch64?  We are happy to
> share a public git repo where 'upstream' kernel can be built with
> kprobes support, which systemtap team can use for verification.  I can
> do this soon as I have most things working locally, except for
> kretprobes and 'boosting' support(systemtap can be run without these I
> believe).

Of course I'm interested in that. Actually I've tried to boot up Linaro's
Aarch64 kernel on a simulator which ARM is distributing.
As far as I could see (at that time), aarch64 branch already has singlestep
implementation for debugging, but no primitive kprobes. And we need to know
the aarch64 ISA for decoding the binary to find the instructions which will
be affected by the out-of-line execution, like relative jump, call etc.

> Looking forward for a collaboration :-)

Me too ;)

Thanks!
--
Masami HIRAMATSU
IT Management Research Dept. Linux Technology Center