Re: Forw/Re: Removal of systemtap from testing

On 07/27/2011 11:08 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I'm interested in systemtap, but don't have much time to spend on
> maintaining it currently. I don't know:
>
> - how many of the current critical issues affecting the Debian package
>   are fixed in the latest upstream version (1.5). (I expect "all of
>   them")

The latest is actually 1.6, released two days ago.  All known security
bugs are fixed in that release.  Compatibility issues should also be
fixed, e.g. for the gcc 4.6 bug 625414.  If for some reason you couldn't
update to the latest, we can certainly help identify the patches needed.

> - if that latest upstream version would work on Debian

It should.  We strive to maintain compatibility all the way from RHEL4
(kernel 2.6.9+) to Fedora rawhide (now kernel 3.0).  So as much as any
older version of systemtap worked on Debian, the new should too, and
we'll gladly accept bugs reporting otherwise.

Josh