Re: Status of ARM user-space support?

On 2010-10-26, Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> wrote:
>>          >  *** Update 4/24/09: arm work finished by Roland. (posted to
>>          >  lkml?) Christoph pinged the mips maintainer, no reply seen.
>>
>>          The arm work was posted upstream on 4/24, but there have been
>>          no replies from ARM folks. [...]
>
> This refers to the work I did, which is only user_regset, tracehook, and
> asm/syscall.h cleanups for ARM.  None of that went in, though not for any
> particular reason.  Since then someone did something about asm/syscall.h
> IIRC, but nobody has ever paid enough attention to merge the user_regset
> and tracehook work I did.  That stuff is internal kernel cleanups that
> don't by itself give you any exciting new features (only some core-dump
> support for the arcane register flavors that lacked them).
>
> I have never done any work related to ARM support for instruction-copying
> breakpoint insertion, which is the crux of kprobes and uprobes.  I'm not
> aware of what others may have done in those areas.

Rats.

When it said "arm work finished" after the bullet item "get arm and
mips converted to regsets and uprobes", I thought that meant that the
arm work was finished for regsets and uprobes.

There'll be some back-pedalling in the next project status meeting...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! But they went to MARS
                                  at               around 1953!!