Re: Hints for cross-compiling staprun?

I always found the --disable-translator et al approach fairly insane.
I've added a standalone configure script and makefile for the runtime
programs.

You can use this by taking your git checkout (or unpacking a future dist
tar file), and then running in some build directory:

	.../runtime/staprun/configure --host=cross-target --prefix=/usr
	make
	make install DESTDIR=/cross/place

i.e., it's a simple standard build setup and it should support cross
compilation as well as such things usually do.  This configure.ac and
Makefile.am are quite small and simple, so if you have cross-compile issues
you can just get generic help on cross compilation for your environment
and it should apply to this case as well.

I made this configure rely on pkg-config for nss support, rather than the
massive manual hooey the main systemtap configure uses.  So that might
complicate things.  But you could just punt the certificate-checking
support and not worry about it.  Moreover, whatever complications you have
can probably be resolved just by asking your cross-compilation community
for help with a package that uses PKG_CHECK_MODULES.

If this works well for everyone, then we should probably remove all the
staprun-related cruft from the main configure.ac and Makefile.am, and
just use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(runtime/staprun).  But for now, the new stuff
should not have any effect on using the existing main configure et al.

Thanks,
Roland