Re: SystemTap Beginners Guide in standard build

On 01/01/2010 06:09 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi,

I heard from several people that they really liked the SystemTap
Beginners Guide. But we were not building it by default, nor did we ship
it with the documentation. I tweaked the build a little to make it build
by default when publican is found (html and pdf version). And it is now
possible to give the brand through configure --with-publican-brand
(defaults to fedora). The guide is now also packaged with the rpm docs.

The configure script now creates a new doc/beginners dir with the
publican.cfg in it with the given brand and all the symlinks setup so
that it can be build without any changes to the srcdir (in case
builddir != srcdir). The included scripts (from the
testsuite/systemtap.examples) are now done through a symlink instead of
being copied fully. The only "real" change from the previous build setup
is that the Book_Info.xml file isn't changed anymore (productname and
productnumber are now set to SystemTap and 1.0). It does still respect
the brand for the title and abstract, etc.

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Cheers,

Mark

commit 53ade4da49f02bedf5c0e7e0b82d961b3e78cb4d
Author: Mark Wielaard<mjw@redhat.com>
Date:   Fri Jan 1 20:47:26 2010 +0100

Add SystemTap_Beginners_Guide to build.

     * configure.ac: Add --enable-publican and --with-publican-brand.
       Setup "shadow" directory doc/beginners.
     * Makefile.in: Regenerated.
     * configure: Regenerated.
     * doc/Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Add beginners.
     * doc/Makefile.in: Regenerated.
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/en-US/Book_Info.xml (productname):
       Set to Systemtap.
       (productnumber): Set to 1.0.
     * SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/en-US/*.xml: Replace includes from
       extras/testsuite to ../testsuite,
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/publican.cfg: Moved to ...
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/publican.cfg.in: ... here.
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/Makefile: Removed.
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/old-syncandbuild.sh: Removed.
     * doc/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/syncandbuild.sh: Removed.
     * doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference/Makefile.in: Regenerated.
     * doc/beginners/Makefile.am: New makefile.
     * doc/beginners/Makefile.in: New generated file.
     * grapher/Makefile.in: Regenerated.
     * systemtap.spec: Add with_publican and publican_brand.

Hi Mark,

This is definitely an improvement. Changing stuff in the source wasn't desirable. I am playing around with this on a RHEL5 machine and finding that things don't yet build. Were you able to build the beginner's guide on a RHEL5 machine?

-Will