Re: Discussion at Linux Foundation Japan Symposium

HI -

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:51:59PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> [...]
> > We have been actively looking at and adding tracepoints to the lttng
> > kernel tree via the ltt-dev list to support Systemtap. [...]

> Huh?  Last I checked Systemtap didn't support tracepoints at all.  Did
> I miss something?

Not *directly*.  Just like lttng, systemtap can currently use
tracepoints via a hand-written intermediary module that maps them to
markers.

> Also, the trace points won't necessarily be helpd up for merge until
> lttng is proposed for merge.  [...]
>
> So what Linus Torvalds and other senior kernel developers proposed at
> the Kernel Summit was a simple debugfs/proc interface which would
> allow individual activation of a tracepoint/marker, and which would
> dump out the data collected by that marker as a simple text file
> accessed via a pseudo-filesystem.

Consider acking http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/30/297, a widget that
aims to connect generic markers to ftrace.