Re: /usr/bin/staprun hardcoded in latest git

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 07:30:34PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Andi,
>
> On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 15:16 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > I updated to a recent git version of systemtap. One issue I noticed
> > is that /usr/sbin/staprun is hardcoded somewhere in stap (I didn't find
> > it with a quick grep in the source, but according to strings it is in
> > stapio). I had it installed in /usr/local/bin
> > and "stap" failed because it couldn't find /usr/bin/staprun.
> > I worked around it with a symlink, but it should be probably fixed.
>
> Thanks for the report. stapio gets staprun through:
> const char *staprun = getenv ("SYSTEMTAP_STAPRUN") ?: BINDIR "/staprun";
> So, you can also work around it by setting SYSTEMTAP_STAPRUN to your
> local staprun. But BINDIR should default to '${exec_prefix}/bin' unless
> you configure --bindir=/something/else. I am not sure how it could have
> been set to /usr/sbin in your case. Maybe config.log gives a hint how
> bindir was set?

I didn't set bindir explicitely, just --prefix

% grep bindir config.log
bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
% strings stapio | grep usr/bin
/usr/bin/staprun
% strings stapio-mainloop.o | grep usr/bin
/usr/bin/staprun

> > The other issue was that the new NSS dependency is somewhat
> > annoying. I hope systemtap doesn't plan to descend further
> > into DLL hell territory.
>
> The NSS dependency is only needed for the client/server mode. It would
> be good to have a configure --disable-stap-sever for those that don't
> need it (or disable building it automagically when NSS isn't found).

Both would be a good idea.

-Andi
--
ak@linux.intel.com