Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] DTrace

>> [...]
>> 	Me too.  I want to be able to say "make install; make
>> tap_install" in my kernel objdir.  "install" does what it always has
>> done - no change.  "tap_install" (or whatever) drops things in eg
>> /lib/modules/<version>/debug such that systemtap Just Works.

OK, we'll try to work out something like that soon.

"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org> writes:

> That would be nice.  But I'm afraid I normally don't even have
> access to the kernel tree on the machine I'm installing to--I
> usually build a monolithic kernel and then scp it to the test
> machines.  Is there hope for me?

You can cross-compile systemtap scripts today, if that kernel at least
is built with CONFIG_MODULES etc.  On your development host:

   % stap -p4 SCRIPT
   % scp RESULT.ko target-machine:
   % ssh root@target-machine staprun RESULT.ko

or something very close to that.  The Fedora/RHEL packages separate a
"systemtap-runtime" piece consisting of one or two small binaries that
need to go onto the target machine.  We're working on a target-side
driven network client/server widget to fully automate this.