Re: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] DTrace

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 01:05:17PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 06:15:07AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> >
> > I've pulled apart RHEL's rpm macro magic before, and it's not a
> > pleasant wading through all of the files; maybe we can teach the
> > native kernel build infrastructure how to create debuginfo files so
> > that each distribution doesn't have to re-invent the wheel from
> > scratch, but rather can reuse common infrastructure in Kbuild....
>
> What is needed to create debuginfo files?
> Seems like a simple thing to integrate in kbuild
> if this is per file or per module.

Well, the simple/stupdiest thing we can do is simply have an alternate
target which installs the modules in

       $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/usr/lib/debug/$(KERNELRELEASE)

... while ignoring the INSTALL_MOD_STRIP option.  You may recall that
that I submitted the patch to add INSTALL_MOD_STRIP (commit
ac031f26e); this was from an earlier attempt of mine to use
kdump/systemtap.

RHEL's rpm macro magic does some additional objcopy's which I'll have
to try to ease out to strip out the text segments and only leave the
debug information in debuginfo files, which helps slim them down a
little.

> If it is for the kernel as a whole things gets a bit more complex.

It would be nice to do this for the base kernel as well (a vmlinux
with strip --strip-debug applied takes only 6 megs in /boot on my
system, but a vmlinux with full debugging information takes 66 megs;
so moving the unstripped vmlinux out of /boot to /usr/lib/debug would
be quite helpful for people who created their /boot partition not
allowing for the rather dramatic increase in size needed for kernels
built with debugging information.)

						- Ted