Re: dwarfless failures on ppc64

Jim Keniston wrote:

[root@llm27lp1 src]# grep "sys_pipe" /proc/kallsyms c0000000000fc410 W .sys_pipe2 c0000000000fc490 W .sys_pipe

Oy. You see this problem with --kmap, but not with --kelf, right?

Yes, I dont see this problem with --kelf option.

The problem with 'W' entries in nm listings is that some of them refer to "real" functions and some don't. What I see during a little research today is... if multiple 'W' entries have the same address, none of them refer to symbols that stap considers probeable. If it's the only 'W' entry with that address, stap will probe it. I'm not sure why that is, but could you check this out on your system? Something like...

awk '$2=="W" {print $3}' /proc/kallsyms > weak.stp

Then edit weak.stp so you have a
	kernel.function("funcname") ?,
line for each weak function, with the result of
probe
	kernel.function("f1") ?,
	kernel.function("f2") ?,
	kernel.function("fN") ?
{
	log(pp())
}
Then do
	stap -vv -p2 weak.stp > weak.p2 2>&1
and see which functions get probed.

Maybe send me weak.stp, weak.p2, and a copy of /proc/kallsyms?

o.k, I will send it.

Thanks
 Srinivasa DS