Re: Stap option to specify location of kernel binary

> > stap -r ~/mybuild
>
> The release(-r) option in stap helps in building a tracing module(upto
> pass 4) for a kernel version which is different from the currently
> booted kernel.
>
> It would be useful if user can specify the debuginfo file/path for the
> currently running kernel. If non-root stap user has debuginfo
> corresponding to the current kernel but does not have enuf permissions
> to place the debuginfo file in specified paths then this feature would
> be very useful.

You are making a distinction that I don't understand.  If you use
stap -r ~/mybuild when the kernel you are running right now came from
~/mybuild/vmlinux, doesn't it work?

> There are two related issues here.
> - debug vmlinux file may reside in other than the default search path of
>   systemtap.

That's why you can give an absolute directory name to -r.

> - Filename may have a name other than vmlinux like vmdbg.

So don't do that.  It's called vmlinux.  It only finds modules called *.ko,
not *.randomothero, too.  Forgive me for being unsympathetic.

Thanks,
Roland