Re: Simple tests to check all probe aliases

Mike Mason <mmlnx@us.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]
>   probe nfs.*.*, nfs.*.*.* {}
> This simple script exposed 24 unresolvable probe aliases.

Indeed, this is a class of genuine bugs.

> [...] I know there's been disagreement as to the value of using -u,
> that it would report $var problems that we already know about and
> can do little to fix.

Not just that -- a user cannot accidentally refer to $vars like she
can to probes (there is no equivalent of "probe * {}" like "$*"), so
this class is much less interesting.

> I still think too much test data is better than too little.  We can
> use the kfail mechnaism if it becomes too annoying.

It will become instantly annoying.  If you like, check in two copies
of the tests, once with -u (and you might as well instantly mark it
kfail), and once without (which should pass).