Re: Updated uprobes patches

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 11:56 -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> Srikar Dronamraju wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just updated uprobes patches to rearrange some of the files.
> > Architecture dependent files are moved to their corresponding arch
> > directories.
> >
> > Uprobes can now be built into the kernel or built as a module on
> > i386, powerpc, and s390.
> > Please do review and let me know your comments.
> >
> > The updated patches are available at /cvs/patches/uprobes directory.
> > The current set of patches are
> >
> > uprobes-all-i386.patch
> > uprobes-powerpc.patch
> > uprobes-s390.patch
> >
> > --
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Srikar Dronamraju
> >
> I verified uprobes-s390.patch and ran the tests. No failures were seen.
> I tested both as a built-in and as a module.

Good.  Thanks.

> One minor issue was that the patch did not apply cleanly to some of the
> arch specific Kconfig and Makefile on the
> 2.6.21-rc6-mm1 kernel. You must have been using a different kernel than
> I. What kernel tree were the patches build against?

The Makefiles and Kconfig files are the only places the uprobes patches
touch existing kernel code, and patch-rejects in those files are easy to
hand-patch, so we haven't been releasing kernel-version-specific uprobes
patches.

The other drawback to this approach is that if you want to build uprobes
as a module, you may have to add, by hand, EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL statements
for access_process_vm, __put_task_struct, and/or tasklist_lock,
depending on the kernel.

Jim