Re: Getting started: trying to build a kernel tracing tool for viewing assembly code

Dan Connors wrote:
I'm just getting started with SystemTap: trying to build a kernel
tracing tool for viewing assembly code
as well as memory addresses.  I am looking to do this on the Itanium
(IA-64) architecture. I have a lot ahead of me in terms of existing
documents.  I am wondering if someone had general suggestions on
getting started on this project and if there was a good starting
point.

Any links are greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

There was some recent discussion about instruction trace support for systemtap:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2007-q3/msg00014.html

Is that the type of tracing you had in mind? You might also take a look at the IBM tool:

http://perfinsp.sourceforge.net/itrace.html

The memory address are those the instruction addresses or data addresses? The data addresses might be much harder to obtain. There was some work done at NCSU by Jesse Beu on a master's thesis using the performance monitoring hardware to monitor data access patterns. Computing the data memory address accessed when sampling instructions was not trivial.

Last I checked sysemtap functioned on ia64 machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 update 5. You probably want to make sure that you have things set up locally to run prepackaged version of systemtap. Probably main stumbling point is getting the correct kernel-debuginfo.

The source repository is available to anyone and there is some information about developing systemtap at:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/getinvolved.html

-Will