Re: Availability of Build and Test System

Kris Van Hees wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 04:13:04PM -0500, David Smith wrote:
- This is an output of "make check", not "make installcheck".  "make
check" just performs basic sanity checks, and never actually runs any
probes.  For this system to be useful for systemtap, it is going to need
to run "make installcheck".

I most definitely agree. The choice to run 'make check' for the current runs is quite deliberate to ensure that the current worker nodes (executing the builds) are at minimal risk of crashing. Of course, the goal is to run the full testsuite. But that will need a bit of work at this point, because crashing the worker nodes is a bit of a problem right now. It is an important problem to resolve either way, since e.g. frysk has accomplished a few machine crashes in the past as well.

Part of this will be trying to capture as much data as possible in the
event of a crash.

BTW, I forgot to mention that for "make installcheck" to work, "make install" has to be run first. I can't remember if you were doing an install or not.

Yep, "make installcheck" can crash the system (although hasn't for me personally in a while). You might check with Will Cohen (who currently publishes weekly results) to see what he does for system crashes. I don't know if he just restarts by hand or has an automated system.

Another problem (that you are most likely already aware of) is that with just "make check" the gcov results aren't going to be very useful.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com