Re: Listing probe alias resolution failures

David Smith wrote:
I guess I was thinking that the "optionalness" of vm.mmap would have meant that when do_mmap wasn't found, vm.mmap would be tossed (so that there would be no attempt to look up $addr and $len)

This is exactly right. But in this case, do_mmap *is* found, so the "optionalness" resolves to a real probe point. If you add a "-vv" to your command line, you'll see which probe points get resolved. Once you have a probe point, then it has to resolve the body, so the parameters become an issue.

I think Frank had an idea for conditional target variables a while back, but I can't find the email. Perhaps that's an idea that needs to be revived?

Perhaps the real bug is that the kernel.function("do_mmap") should be made optional in the vm.mmap probe alias.

I think in this case do_mmap is found, so the only bug is #1155 resolving inline parameters...

Josh