Re: Listing probe alias resolution failures

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> writes:
Here it seems like we should be able to discard the probe before
trying to look up its parameters.  Could you file a bugzilla on this
so we don't forget to look at this?

Specifically, are you suggesting that

probe kernel.function("something_that_exists") ? { f($non_existent_variable) }

should be accepted?

Nope, I'm suggesting that:

   probe kernel.function("something_that_does_not_exist") ? {
      local1 = $arg1
      local2 = $arg2
      printf("%d %d\n", local1, local2)
   }

be accepted.

In other words, if we know a probe point doesn't exist, it shouldn't matter what arguments it references.

If we make this change, it will make it easier to write scripts that target multiple kernel versions and/or architectures.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com