Re: SystemTap questions: user/kernel communication & pass compiilation options to module build

I was thinking more along the lines of linking in an archive (*.a or *.so) of C routines that could be shared between a SystemTap implementation and a non-SystemTap implementation. In my case PerformanceInspector contains a lot of code to support instruction tracing as well as some other tools on SuSe with a kernel module. I think it is unlikely that the SystemTap communitiy will be interested in integrating all of this code into the runtimes/ area so I thought that if we can link the SystemTap generated kernel module against a PerformanceInspector archive we could satisfy both environments.
Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Dave Nomura <dcnltc@us.ibm.com> writes:

2. is there any way to pass options to the compilation of the
SystemTap generated module code? I was thinking that this would allow
me to pass a library of kernel driver support routines that might
otherwise live in SystemTaps runtimes/ directory. Another use might
be to pass -D define options.

You can already pass -D options. If you want to include libraries of embedded-C code, you can put it into a private tapset file, and cause it to be pulled into the script compilation somehow. Chances are you will want to make some functions that are callable from script. See the tutorial <http://sourceware.org/systemtap/tutorial/node18.html>, and realize that the embedded-C code can go into a separate file that systemtap would search (see the -I option).

Dave Nomura
LTC Linux Power Toolchain